- Download 1128
- File Size 91.34 KB
- File Count 1
- Create Date November 16, 2016
- Last Updated November 16, 2016
Uniform Parcel Identifier Implementation
TO: ALL DOCUMENT FILERS
FROM: LORI BIMBER, RECORDER OF DEEDS
WARREN COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA 16365
SUBJECT: UNIFORM PARCEL IDENTIFIER IMPLEMENTATION
TAX PARCEL NUMBERS WILL SOON BE REQUIRED ON DOCUMENTS
Similar to other counties throughout the state, Warren County will begin to require the familiar Tax Parcel Number on all deeds recorded in the Warren County Recorder of Deeds Office beginning on January 7, 2009. This is being done in connection with the Pennsylvania Uniform Parcel Identifier (UPI) Act of 1988 and Warren County’s recently implemented UPI ordinance approved 11/26/2008. This program will not only allow other departments in the county to update property information in a more timely and accurate fashion, it will also allow the searching of public records based on these Tax Parcel Numbers.
THIS NUMBER WILL BE REFERRED TO AS THE UPI NUMBER
These numbers have gone by several different names over the years such as Tax Parcel Number, Parcel Identification Number, and Tax Parcel Identifier. However, for the purposes of this program, they will be referred to as the Uniform Parcel Identifier or UPI. This is due to its connection to the above statute and ordinance. The format of the UPI number will be the familiar quad-map-parcel-sub number format. Work is also in progress for looking up UPI numbers by information such as the address, owner name, and municipality/township over the Internet.
PROCEDURE FOR CERTIFICATION – WHAT FULL IMPLEMENTATION MEANS
- Documents (see page 2 for more information on which documents must be verified under this program) will first be submitted to the County Tax Assessment Office/Land and Mapping Department for verification. Verifications for the day will conclude at 3:45 pm.
- Any documents, which are mailed by the US Postal Service or sent by another service should be addressed to: Warren County Assessment Office, UPI Program, 204 Fourth Avenue, Warren, 16365
- Any documents, which are hand delivered to the Courthouse, may be taken to the Assessment Office located in the basement level of the building.
- A ten-dollar ($10) charge will be made per UPI. Checks should be made payable to the “Warren County Assessment Office.” This payment should be made separately from the Recorder of Deeds recording fee. Account holders with the Assessment Office may elect to have the charge added to their accounts. Documents will be returned if the correct fee is not included or method of payment is not arranged prior to certification.
- If the UPI’s are correct, the documents will be submitted to the Recorder of Deeds for recording. If the UPI is missing from the document one will be determined and certified on the document. Filers should include a contact number in case of questions regarding the document submitted.
- Filers submitting documents for certification via the US Postal Service must include a self-addressed stamped envelope for return of the certified documents.
- Filers submitting documents for certification via any other service should include an envelope and label with the proper account information.
- If the UPI’s are incorrect, incomplete or missing and a correct UPI can not be determined, the documents will be returned with a written statement stating the reason for the return and information on correcting the problems. Documents that were mailed must be accompanied with a self addressed stamped envelope.
- A ten-dollar ($10) charge will be reassessed for certification of the new, corrected number(s)
WARREN COUNTY UPI RULES
- AGREEMENT OF SALE INVOLVING REAL PROPERTY
- SUBDIVISION PLANS
Including plats, subdivisions, surveys, and all other documents that are filed as plans.
- DECLARATIONS OF CONDOMINIUM
NOTE: Corrective instruments will require UPI numbers if the original or the new version of the document would be required to have a UPI number under this program. This includes new recordings of documents that were filed prior to the full implementation of this program that did not have UPI’s on them at the time of recording.
PLACEMENT OF UPI NUMBERS ON DOCUMENTS
The location of the UPI should be on the top right hand corner of the first page of the document (with the exception of subdivisions). It should appear with one of the following phrases:
BEING UPI # WN-123-4567000-000
In cases where the legal description precisely matches the land represented by an existing UPI
BEING PART OF UPI # WN-123-456700-000 (example)
In cases where the legal description covers only a portion of an existing UPI or is being formed out of an existing UPI (parcel)
These phrases should be repeated for each different UPI required to be referenced.
UPI NUMBERS TO BE PLACED ON DOCUMENT – GENERAL RULES
The UPI number that corresponds to the property or properties affected by the documents as it appears on the County Tax Maps should be placed on the document. In most cases, there should be a one-to-one correspondence between a legal description and the UPI number, in cases where a document is using a legal description that is intended to convey or cover only part of an existing parcel the phrase “BEING PART OF UPI #...” should be used to reference the corresponding UPI on the County Tax Maps. Similarly, if a UPI number is unavailable at the time the document is drafted, the UPI corresponding to the land from which the new parcel is being formed should be referenced with the phrase “BEING PART OF UPI #...” In most cases a new UPI will be assigned to the split off or separated parcel before the instrument is recorded.
UPI NUMBERS TO BE PLACED ON DOCUMENTS – Special Rules
DEED OF DEDICATION – roadbeds only
Many existing roadbeds do not have parcels assigned to them. In those cases, no UPI will be required. In instances where a Deed of Dedication is conveying a portion of land for which a UPI exists, then the Deed should reference the UPI from which it is being formed with the phrase “BEING PART OF UPI #...”
EASEMENTS, CONDEMNATIONS, AND ADVERSE POSSESSIONS
Easements, condemnations, and adverse possessions should list every UPI that their legal descriptions are intended to cover. If the description only partially covers a parcel that corresponds to a UPI, then the document should reference that parcel with the phrase “BEING PART OF UPI #...”
Subdivision plans will require the UPI of all parcels corresponding to the land being subdivided (parent parcels), not the newly created UPI’s (child parcels) that will be generated from the subdivision. If a revised plan is filed that corresponds to the parent parcels, then those should be used. If a revised plan covers only a portion of the parent parcels, then the phrase “BEING PART OF UPI #...” should be used for each parent parcel for which it only partially covers.
If the municipality maintains an independent subdivision code, you are strongly encouraged to verify with the Planning and Zoning Department prior to submission for approval as to the accuracy of the UPI number on the subdivision. If requested by the filer, the Mapping Office will certify the subdivision plan prior to submission to the municipality. However, in most cases, certification will not occur until after the approval of the subdivision by the municipality.
CONVEYANCE OF A STRIP OF PROPERTY TO AN ADJOINING PARCEL
If a deed is being recorded not for the purpose of creating a separate lot, but to join a strip of land with an existing adjacent parcel, then the deed should reference the UPI corresponding to the parcel from which it is being formed with the phrase “BEING PART OF UPI #...”
COMBINATION OF TWO OR MORE LOTS
If a deed is being recorded for the purpose of creating one parcel from two existing parcels, then the deed should refer to the UPI of all parcels from which it is being formed, using a separate phrase for each UPI referenced.
CONTACT INFORMATION FOR UPI NUMBERS, QUESTIONS, OR FOR PROBLEMS:
Warren County Assessment Office, Land and Mapping Department. (814) 728-3420.
This notice is being circulated now to help you prepare for full implementation of this program and to encourage you to begin putting UPI numbers on all required documents for filing. Full implementation will consist of the following:
- Requiring the appropriate UPI numbers on all document types included in this program before they can be recorded.
- Charging the additional fee associated with this program.